Saturday, July 7, 2012

It's As Easy As Riding a Bicycle!

This may seem to be a bit unbelievable, especially for a 21 year old,  but I have never ever learned to ride a bike. I've tried to learn once when I was around 9 or 10, but never tried to since from being scarred by that one experience. What happened was, my brother tried to teach me by riding down the huge hill by our house, and I was doing pretty well until I turned around and saw he wasn't holding me. Instead of having that "wow!" moment after discovering I was riding the bike on my own, I landed up freaking out and panicking, which then lead to me crashing and then tumbling down the hill and scraping myself up pretty badly. -_-; I pretty much made up my mind right then and there that I would NEVER get near a bike again in my lifetime....

However, today, I had broken that promise I had made to myself. My hubby pretty much pushed me to learn to ride a bike today, so we walked all the way down hill, rented a bike, walked with it to the park, and then began the training. xD Thankfully, I'm not afraid of embarrassing myself (I pretty much do embarrassing things all the time, anyways), because there were quite a few people there, and I'm pretty sure some of them figured out that I didn't know a thing about riding a bike. There were a few people who were sitting on the bench near us for quite some time during my bike lesson and would glance over at us occasionally, but that's about all.


 It was a bit frightening for me when I first got on the bike, especially not having a helmet or knee pads (don't follow my example please!). Because of that, we thought it might be less scary for me if I started out on the grass and then move on to the pavement once I felt more comfortable ( I soon figured out that it's a lot more difficult to pedal through the grass than on the sidewalk). Luckily, I didn't fall once (the only injury I sustained was a blister on the inside of my thumb from gripping the handles too tightly). I mainly had trouble with balancing and riding in a straight line (I was riding like a drunk person and swerving all over the place in the beginning), but within a couple of hours, I started to get the hang of it! ^.^ Now, the only thing I can't do very well is making big turns. xD For the most part though, I've got it down. I seriously didn't think I would even make as much progress as I did! :3 I guess my hubby's a good teacher. Lols! It also probably helps a bit that the bike was a good size for me, unlike when I was a kid trying to learn on a bike that was too big for me. :P I also never realized how fun it could be riding a bike. I liked it so much that I'm looking for a bike of my own now! (I've got my eye on a hot pink Hello Kitty one at the moment!).

I feel like I achieved a lot today.^_^ It may seem like a small feat to some, but for me, it was a huge step to take. Honestly, I'm really proud of myself, and I'm thankful to my husband for dragging me out there even though I was reluctant and being stubborn almost the entire time he was trying to teach me. ^^; I guess it's a good thing for me that he's even more stubborn than I am, otherwise, I probably would have never learned. xD


Also, I can now sing this song whenever I go for a bike ride:


No comments:

Post a Comment