Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hair Color Dilemma

After all these years of dying my hair burgundy, I've recently been thinking about dying my hair a different color. The issue I've been having is deciding exactly which direction to go with it. >.< What I know already is that I can't go too dark (I have naturally black hair, and all it did was wash me out) and I don't think I can pull off any shade of blonde. Honestly, I don't even want to go that route (not that there's anything wrong with blondes!). I also really want something that is kind of fun yet not too bold, so it won't clash with my style, if there is such a color other than burgundy (that just makes me wonder if I should just stick with it...? Or maybe I should just give in and go with either an unnatural color or a more natural color... I have no idea...).

As you can probably tell, I'm quite confused. Lols! Because of that, I've been doing my research on possible ways I can find out what colors would look good on me, and which I should steer clear of. Here are some tips and facts that I have learned so far from other sites that I thought might be good to share with everyone who might be having the same problem as I am (I hope it helps!):

* If you're dying your hair at home, don't go more than 2 shades lighter or darker than your natural hair color.




* Determine whether you are either a warm, cool, or neutral skin tone - you can do so by trying out these tests:

The Jewelry Test

- Warm skin tone: gold jewelry looks best on you
- Cool skin tone: silver jewelry looks best on you
- Neutral skin tone: both gold and silver jewelry look equally good on you

(Note: be sure to get unbiased opinions on this to help you determine which is true for you)

The Vein Test

Look at the veins in your arms.... Are they blue or are they more green? If they're blue, then you might be a cool skin tone. If they're green, you may be more on the warm side. However, keep in mind that this isn't always 100% accurate.


The White Cloth Test

Pull your hair away from your face and place a white towel around your neck and shoulders. If your skin reflects a more yellow shade, you're warm; if your skin looks more blue, you're cool.



* Keep in mind that if you are of Asian descent, you don't automatically fall into the olive category! You can find out more about this in here! This will also help you see that there are many different types of overtone and undertone combinations and that there's always exceptions!


* Once you figure out what your skin tone is, you may start looking up shades that will compliment it! 
Remember, warm skin tones look best with warm hair colors, cool skin tones look best with cool colors, and neutral skin tones can pull off both!

(cooler colors have blue, green, purple, black and grey tones in them, and warmer colors have red, yellow, orange, and brown tones in them)

* Consult your hairstylist! Chances are, they can help you find a shade that will work for you. 

* If you're a little more brave, then experiment with colors. Sometimes the best way to find out whether or not something works for you is by trying things out for yourself. Be sure to take proper care of your hair though and don't overdo the coloring as to not damage it!


Hopefully this proves to be useful! Lols! I know I've learned quite a bit looking up information on this. I think with the information I've found, I have more of an idea on which colors will work for me, though I still haven't decided on an exact shade just yet. ^^; Wish me luck on my hair journey, and good luck to those of you who are searching for their own perfect shades! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment